Town Times Requester



Stay Connected

Pesticide task force formed


At their regular meeting on Aug. 25, the Durham Board of Selectmen created a task force to study the town’s herbicide use.

Called the Roadside Maintenance Task Force, the group was formed after residents complained to the BOS about the spraying of chemical weed-killer on roads and curbs.

The town has the right to spray onto private property within 10 feet of the roads. In response to concerns expressed at the Aug. 11 BOS meeting, Public Works director Kurt Bober said that his department has been spraying onto the roads and curbs and not the 10 foot right of way.

The chemical used was a commercially available herbicide, although the town also has access to herbicides not publicly available. At that meeting, the town placed a moratorium on herbicide use to study the issue.

The task force’s charge reads, “The task force shall research safe, efficient, and cost-effective methods of maintaining roadways, roadsides, and town property that minimizes and/or eliminates the use of hazardous chemicals.”

That wording drew comment.

“It almost seems like the charge is the decision,” selectman Steve Levy said. “I’m not opposed to the goal, but I’m just not sure it’s a good charge in that it’s already drawing a conclusion.”

First Selectman Laura Francis said that the task force would research and recommend, while the BOS would decide.

During the public comment portion of the meeting, Roger Kleeman of Durham said that the word hazardous in the charge was detrimental because even safe chemicals could be considered hazardous if used improperly. “I think you’re putting something in there that’s going to cause more trouble than it’s worth,” Kleeman said.

At the beginning of the meeting, Rick Parmelee said of the moratorium, “I think it was rather drastic action to put a stop to it.” Parmelee asked why should power company and town employees be subjected to poison ivy on the job.

“So far Public Works has not reported that there are any real problematic areas,” Francis responded. “If there are, we can selectively re-address that.”

Tina Hurlbert, Claudia White, Joanne Nytch, Mark Shadle, and Mike Bisceglia were appointed to the task force, which led selectman John Szewcyzk to question if there would be a diversity of opinion in the group.

The timing of the task force’s reporting, no later than Nov. 10 according to its charge, will allow Durham to make changes in the town budget if different methods have financial implications.



Back to AllNews
Top Stories of the Week

Durham to eliminate town Round Up use …
The Roadside Management Task Force was charged with researching ways the town could reduce or eliminate the use of hazardous chemicals while controlling roadside weeds … more ...

Busy day at the Durham Public Library …
On Saturday, May 16, the library booster group PALS held its annual book sale in the Durham Public Library’s lower level. On the same day … more ...

School budget reduced after down vote at referendum …
The first regular Board of Education meeting after voters rejected the proposed 2015-2016 school budget at the May 5 referendum was better attended than any … more ...

Caruso named parade Grand Marshal …
The 2015 Memorial Day Parade Grand Marshal is Vincent Caruso, a former U.S. Navy Petty Officer 1st Class and U.S. Air Force Airman 1st Class. … more ...

Matty’s drops game slugfest to Killingworth …
Matty’s Next Door Sports Bar let an early lead evaporate, losing 25 – 19 to Killingworth in an eight-inning game called due to darkness. Visiting … more ...

Comments